Furnace Repair Tips
When the weather starts getting chilly making sure that your furnace is in good working condition is important for your safety and comfort. There are a few simple yet very important things to check before you call a repairman. This can save you time, money, and give you peace of mind on a cold night.
Some of the most common furnace repair calls received as a furnace repairman can be avoided by making a few simple checks on some components of your heating system:
How to determine your furnace type
There are a few signs that determine if you have a traditional gas furnace or a high efficiency gas furnace
Type of Venting
First check for the type of venting used for your furnace. A high efficiency gas furnace will be direct vented while a traditional gas furnace is vented usually through a chimney.
What is Direct Venting?
If you have a high efficiency gas furnace installed in your home, you will notice two PVC pipes directly connected to your furnace leading to the exterior of your home usually through the wall.
A high efficiency furnace has a multi-stage condenser, this process creates condensation requiring a high efficiency furnace to be drained. There is commonly a small tube leading from the furnace to a floor drain.
Traditional Gas Furnace
Traditional Gas Furnaces are usually older furnace models that are vented through a chimney flue, they have continuous pilot lights and range from 80-91% AFUE.
AFUE (annual fuel utilization efficiency) is a rating that is given to furnaces to compare the amount of fuel that is required to the amount of heat that is produced.
If your furnace is 95% AFUE this mean that 95% of the fuel is converted into heat energy for your home, while the remaining 5% is lost in the conversion process.
Keep in mind that the AFUE of your furnace does not account for heat loss due distribution throughout your home.
Ductwork exposed to spaces that are not properly insulated can cause additional heat loss and it is recommended that these spaces or the ductwork be insulated to maintain optimal efficiency and reduce heating costs.
Many thermostats function on battery power. It is a good idea to check and change your batteries on an annual basis to ensure proper functioning.
If your thermostat is directly wired and there is no power to the thermostat you can check to make sure the breaker is on.
Check the settings on your thermostat. Thermostats set to an incorrect setting can have undesired effects. Check to make sure your thermostat is to heat, and the fan is set to auto.
If your thermostat is set to fan, your furnace will simply recirculate the air inside your home and not produce heat.
Older furnaces have a standing pilot light, this is a continuous pilot light. Pilot lights can be affected by strong gusts coming down through the chimney and sometimes the pilot light is extinguished.
High efficiency furnaces have a safety shut off on the burner, if the airflow is restricted this can cause the safety to be activated and your furnace will blow cool air due to the burner not lighting. Have you checked your air filter recently? If not, this maybe the cause of your furnace blowing cold air. It is recommended that you change your air filter regularly about every 90 days.
High efficiency furnaces have what is known as a condensate drain. The condensate pump’s function is to remove excess moisture produced in the heating process. The condensate drain has a safety sensor and if it is not functioning properly this can cause the burner not to light.
Most high efficiency furnaces have direct venting that leads to the exterior of your home. Sometimes these vents can become clogged with ice or debris causing your heating system to shut down.
Sometimes your furnace blowing cold air cannot be fixed with a simple solution and it is time to call your local furnace repairman. Abstract Heating provides furnace repair and furnace serving in Winnipeg and surrounding areas.
We do our best to repair all makes and models, having over 40 years experience in the HVAC business.
We supply and install parts and service most makes and models. If we cannot repair your furnace or find the appropriate replacement parts, we will work with you to find your best replacement option.
If your current furnace is non-reparable and is a standard gas furnace we are required to select a new high efficiency furnace model as per provincial guidelines.
Upon selection we will have your furnace installed so you can have peace of mind keeping your family and your investment warm this winter.
For reliable furnace service and furnace repair and furnace replacement in Winnipeg and surrounding areas